How to reduce eyelid swelling after blepharoplasty?
Postoperative swelling is a common complication that occurs after eyelid surgery, how to minimize this complication? How to reduce eyelid swelling after blepharoplasty?
blepharoplasty swelling causes
The fact is that there are three general factors involved in causing this inflammation.
- Extent of surgery (the wider it is, the more swelling after surgery)
- Surgeon’s method: Each surgeon gave his own method and depending on that method and preventive measures before and during the surgery, the postoperative swelling varies.
- Post-Op Care: Most of our focus in this article is in this regard, a set of factors, principles and measures before and after surgery performed by the patient, is effective in reducing postoperative inflammation, so We will discuss this in this article.
How to reduce swelling after eyelid surgery?
- Cold compresses should be applied to the patient’s eyes continuously for the first 24 hours immediately after the operation. In the next 24 to 48 hours, apply a cold compress every 2 hours for 20 minutes.
- Keep the head held high for the first few days after surgery
- Rest for two or three days after the operation and avoid strenuous activity
- Stop taking anticoagulants such as aspirin, warfarin and Plavix, 5 to 10 days before surgery
- Stop taking anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, indomethacin and diclofenac (NSAIDs) one week before surgery
- Discontinue complementary medications such as omega oils, vitamin and minerals, garlic-containing compounds, Ginseng and glucosamine, and vitamin E two weeks before surgery.
- Strict control of blood pressure in patients with high blood pressure and careful use of medications, especially in the morning of surgery
- On the first day, it is recommended to apply a gentle and tolerable pressure & massage on the wound for 30 seconds every one to two hours to remove the discharge and blood from the wounds.
- After 48 hours to 72 hours, use a warm compress. The important point is that due to the disturbance of the sense of touch in the operation area, we should be careful about burns caused by hot compresses (hot towels). Be careful not to heat the towel in the microwave. The best way is to heat the towel with a steam iron.
- Taking vitamin C tablets and medicines containing pineapple extract is effective in accelerating the healing process and reducing inflammation.
- In prolonged swelling, gentle massage with the fingers at the eyelids helps reduce swelling.
source : dr-abbasnia.ir