What is rhinoplasty? | candidates, procedure
Rhinoplasty is one of the most comprehensive nose surgery methods that has become very popular all over the world in recent years and can also be used therapeutically. Using this method, you can have a beautiful nose in exact shape you want.
But what exactly is rhinoplasty? And what is the difference between nose surgery and rhinoplasty? How much does it cost? Will it have any side effects? Join us to answer all these questions about this beauty procedure in this article.
What is rhinoplasty surgery?
The root of word rhinoplasty is actually Greek. Reno means nose and plasty means structural change. As mentioned above, rhinoplasty is a procedure of nose surgery that can bring your nose to your desired shape and form. In this surgery, the nose is usually split from lower part, and then according to changes that are needed, the nose blades, cartilage, shape and shape of nasal bone can be changed.
Rhinoplasty can also be used to treat breathing problems or polyps. In this surgery, the internal dividing bone of nose and its cartilage are straightened so that nasal congestion is removed and the person can breathe well and easily. Also, according to the problem and needs of patient, in this cosmetic surgery and treatment of nose, the surgeon can also smooth nose side walls so that both nose takes on a beautiful shape and patient breathing problems are solved.
According to his physical characteristics and conditions, this nose operation can be performed under local anesthesia or with complete anesthesia. In rhinoplasty, various defects of nose can be solved, including:
- Large nose size.
- Crooked nose.
- Drooping nose tip or low angle of nose and lips.
- wide nose
- Large nostrils.
- The shape of nose tip is boxy.
- Too much distance from nose tip to face.
- Dislocation of nasal septum and asymmetry of nose.
- The two branches of the nose tip.
- horse’s saddle nose shape caused by previous injuries or surgery to deviate the nasal septum.
- Deformities after surgery.
One of the features of this nose surgery is that it is performed in different ways and techniques. As a result, the treating doctor can choose one of methods and techniques according to shape of the patient’s nose, the shape he wants after operation, breathing problems and physical characteristics to get best possible result. Currently, rhinoplasty is performed in 3 different ways and techniques.
The good news is that new technologies can be used in performing different rhinoplasty procedures to reduce complications caused by operation and bring nose to the desired shape. One of these technologies is use of 3D imaging, which reduces the amount and depth of cuts and damage to nasal tissue to a minimum.
In this method, small incisions are made in different parts of nose so that the endoscopic tube can be passed through them. Video cameras are installed on these tubes so that it can clearly and accurately show the inside of nose to surgeon. With this method, the doctor can make most subtle and sensitive changes on nose and reduce complications such as swelling and bleeding to lowest possible amount.
Open rhinoplasty method
One of rhinoplasty methods is open nose surgery. In this type of cosmetic surgery, the surgeon has access to all parts of nose and can apply the desired changes more freely. This cosmetic procedure is the most common type of rhinoplasty that many surgeon and clients choose.
This rhinoplasty method can be used to fix problem and beautify nose in different models of fleshy noses, humped or deviated noses. If your nose needs changes such as going out or going in, your surgeon will undoubtedly suggest this method. The duration of this type of rhinoplasty is longer than other types, and you need more care afterwards.
Closed rhinoplasty method
If you are looking for slight changes in your nose, this rhinoplasty procedure can be the best choice for you. In this method, only a tiny incision may be made in lower part of nose, or the entire procedure may be performed through nasal cavities. According to type of this nose surgery, you will experience the least amount of swelling, pain and problems after operation.
This method is also suitable for people who do not like to have sutures on their face even for a short time.
Who is good candidate for rhinoplasty?
If your conditions are one or more of the following, this cosmetic procedure can be useful and suitable for you.
- If you have breathing problems, but your nose looks good. In this situation, you can solve your breathing problems forever without changing the shape of your nose.
- If your nose was broken in an accident, by using rhinoplasty, you can make the shape of your nose as desired and solve the problems caused by impact.
- If your problems are genetic or congenital, with this method you can easily solve your beauty and breathing problems.
- If your nose is big, with rhinoplasty you can adjust its size perfectly to other parts of your face.
- If after rhinoplasty, your nose is out of shape or you are not satisfied with its shape, you can achieve exactly what you want using rhinoplasty.
- If you feel asymmetry in your nose, this cosmetic procedure can solve your problem.
- If your nose’s tip falls and makes the distance between your nose and lips appear smaller than it is, this procedure can restore the true beauty of your face.
- If your nose is wide or its holes are big, rhinoplasty will be best option for you.
It should be noted that this cosmetic procedure has no gender restrictions and both men and women can use it to change the shape of nose and breathing problems. Regarding the age limit, many doctors believe that the best age for nose surgery is after 18 years old, and they do not recommend it for teenagers under 18 years old. Because before this age, the adolescent growth spurt has not been completed and nose may change shape again after operation.
What is the difference between rhinoplasty and nose surgery?
In response to this question, we must say that when you talk about vision, you are expressing a general word that includes different methods. In fact, rhinoplasty can be considered a subset of nose surgery that is performed with the least complications for patients. The important thing in rhinoplasty is that the normal function of nose is preserved and you can make it bigger in addition to making your nose smaller.
Also, in regular rhinoplasty, after the end of surgery and suturing, the nose is restricted with plaster or special splints. These plasters and splints control the swelling of nose to a great extent after operation and make you able to take care of yourself. Usually, the splint is removed from nose after a week.
Recommendations before performing rhinoplasty
Before you go for rhinoplasty, be sure to check the different centers that perform this beauty procedure and see their samples. This will help you choose the best center for your beauty procedure. Be sure to have a consultation with a specialist surgeon before surgery so that he can precisely check the shape of nose and its problems and choose the most suitable technique for you.
Talk to your doctor about your medical history and if you have a specific disease and take a specific medication, be sure to share this with him. The most important disease for rhinoplasty is hemophilia, which may cause excessive bleeding during operation, be sure to discuss this issue with doctor during the consultation.
After examining your nose, the doctor will take pictures of your nose from different angles for further examination and comparison before and after operation. He writes special tests for you that you must do before operation. Also, if you are planning to perform other procedures along with rhinoplasty, for example on chin, tell your doctor about this so that the best solution can be chosen for you.
Avoid taking blood-thinning medications such as aspirin or ibuprofen two weeks before rhinoplasty. Because the dilution of your blood during surgery can be troublesome and cause excessive bleeding during surgery.
Care after rhinoplasty
One of the most important stages of success in any cosmetic procedure is the care you have to take after it. If you are indifferent about the care after rhinoplasty and imagine that you have gone all way with operation, you will probably face many problems just a few days after operation. Therefore, take care after rhinoplasty seriously. These cares will be told to you by your surgeon. The most important of them include the following:
- Pain after rhinoplasty is usually mild and tolerable, and your doctor will prescribe painkillers accordingly. Be sure to take the medicines prescribed by your doctor on time and in right amount.
- For a few days after nose job, try not to bend your head and keep it up. This will help you breathe and reduce swelling.
- Up to 72 hours after procedure, you can use a light ice water compress to reduce swelling and bruising.
- For a few weeks after rhinoplasty, be careful not to hit your nose. Because nose is vulnerable for a few weeks after operation and may force you to do operation again.
- Drink plenty of water for a few weeks after rhinoplasty.
- Try not to be exposed to sunlight for a week after procedure.
- Do not go to swimming pool for at least 3 weeks after operation and do not do heavy sports activities for 3 months.
- Be sure to sleep on your back for at least two weeks after operation and be careful not to put pressure on your nose.
- Eat soft foods for a few days after procedure and avoid eating foods that require constant chewing.
- Don’t blow your nose for a month and don’t put any pressure on your nose.
- Try to take care of yourself so you don’t catch a cold. Constant sneezing and coughing can negatively affect the result of operation.
- After 3 days of surgery, you can replace the cold compress with a warm one and place it on nose.
- Be sure to wear buttoned clothes for a few days so that you don’t have trouble changing clothes.
- During the week that your nose is plastered or splinted, prevent it from getting wet.
- Do not shower for at least 3 days after rhinoplasty.
- Reduce salt and fatty foods to reduce swelling.
Advantages and possible complications of rhinoplasty
Undoubtedly, any action you take can have consequences for you. Of course, keep in mind that these complications and disadvantages are possible and may only happen in special and rare cases. Choosing a skilled and professional doctor can greatly reduce the likelihood of these complications.
The advantages of rhinoplasty include the following:
- Breathing through your nose improves.
- Your nose will be shapely and beautiful.
- The size of nose will be proportional to other parts of face.
- The minor problems of your nose such as asymmetry, the size of fins, minor to major humps, etc. will be fixed.
- Another benefit of rhinoplasty is undoubtedly the increase in self-confidence and mood of people. Because without a doubt, you will be more beautiful after procedure.
If this cosmetic procedure is not performed by licensed and accredited centers and a professional surgeon, you may face the following complications and disadvantages of rhinoplasty:
- Your olfactory nerve is damaged.
- Have abnormal bleeding after operation.
- Your nose and surgery site will be permanently numb.
- Have respiratory disorders and problems.
- Create skin scars in nostrils.
- The nose’s tip deviates and becomes asymmetric.
- If you do not use antibiotics in a timely manner, you will get an infection.
As mentioned above, choosing the right doctor can greatly prevent occurrence of complications and disadvantages of rhinoplasty. So be sure to do the necessary research before choosing your doctor and make a safe choice.
Different factors should be considered for the cost of rhinoplasty or any other operation. What city and country do you live in, the type of operation and technique of your rhinoplasty, which of the mentioned items, is your operation therapeutic, cosmetic or both? What is the expertise and experience of your doctor? What is the degree of complexity and difficulty of operation, etc. All these are among factors that will affect the cost of your rhinoplasty.
The important thing is that you never sacrifice your beauty and health for price. You may find a center that performs nose surgery and rhinoplasty at a lower price than average price,but smallest mistake in operation is dangerous and you are doing this procedure once and for all, so try to be a little generous with the cost of rhinoplasty.
FAQ about Rhinoplasty
How many visits do you need after rhinoplasty?
After you have done your rhinoplasty operation, you should visit your doctor every week in first month. After that, in first year, this amount will be reduced to once every 3 months. In second year, you can visit your surgeon once every 6 months.
Is rhinoplasty dangerous?
In answer to this question, it should be said that since before operation, the person is thoroughly examined, all problems, diseases and important cases are checked and the best operation technique is chosen, it can be said that this operation is one of safest. It is considered a cosmetic procedure.
How long is the recovery period after rhinoplasty?
The recovery period is different according to the characteristics of each person, the type of operation and his conditions, but on average, the recovery period of rhinoplasty can be considered to be about 2 weeks.
Does nose break in rhinoplasty?
Usually, more than half of rhinoplasty patients need to break their nose. Don’t worry, this is a partial failure of treatment plan so that the doctor can access different parts of nose and perform various functions such as widening or narrowing nose, making it symmetrical, etc. After a few weeks, your nose will be completely restored.